DR. VICTOR FODEKE – A 1988/89 Fulbright Exchange Fellow (Hubert H. Humphrey Fellow) is the Founder and Member of Board of Trustees of AFRICAN ENVIRONMENTAL ACTION NETWORK a.k.a. EANet – Africa. Areas of specialization:-Water Quality and Marine Environmental Protection and Social Entrepreneur. Obtained several Professional Certificate/ Fellowship in Water and Wastewater treatment techniques; Post-graduate Certificate in Air and Water Pollution from Industries (France 1983 and University of Ghent, Belgium 1985(TOXICOLOGY). An Intern of District 13th of the United States Coast Guard with specialization in (a) Oil Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasures. (b)
Coastal Zone Management and Environmental Protection. He is one of the few trained specialists as FIRST RESPONDER on “Incident Response to Toxic/Hazardous substances, and Personnel Protection (United States, Environment Protection Agency’s Hazardous Waste Academy at Cincinnati, Ohio State). (C) Initiated actions towards the enactment of the first ever “National Standards for Environmental Pollution Control in Nigeria “FEPA Green Book” which later became enacted into FEPA Regulations S.1.8, S. 1.9 and S.1. 15.
Initiated actions towards the establishment of the First Inspectorate and Enforcement Department of FEPA, 1991. (d)Established the first Nigerian-Industries and Environment Roundtable, Kaduna 1991 (Industrial Pollution Abatement Committee –IPAC) Pioneer of the Koko Toxic Waste Evacuation Exercise.
Initiated the establishment of the first Northern State Chapter of the Nigeria Environmental Society (NES) and became its first President in 1991. Member of many National Environmental Investigation and Remediation Programmes. Contributed to the first National Industrial Blueprint for the Federal Ministry of Industries.
Represented Nigeria at various international conferences and seminars. Contributed to many science and environmental publications. He is Honorary Fellow of the Nigeria Institute of Advance Legal Studies. Represented Nigeria at the 3rd Commonwealth International Environmental Management Seminar in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada in 1993. Former Vice Chairman of Earth Day Committee in Nigeria Pioneering networking strategy with other Environmental Non-Government Organization (NGOs) and Community Based Organizations
- 1988/89 As Hubert H Humphrey Fellow in Seattle Washington State, worked with the 13TH District
of the US Coast Guard in Puget Sound, Seattle, WA. USA.
- As Intern with the 13th District US Coast Guard was member of Response Team of EXXON VALDEZ
Oil Spill in 1988/89
- A 1996 winner of the prestigious Martin Luther King, Jnr. Award for initiating the innovative
collaboration with the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) for PARTICIPATORY Integrated
Community Development Programme.
- Appointed ASHOKA FELLOW in 1997.
- Widely traveled, and multilingual with six international Fellowships.
- 1998, Federal Environmental Protection Agency (FEPA) of Nigeria appointed Zonal Director in the
western operational area of the Niger Delta area of Nigeria. In 2000, was appointed the Chairman
of the Subcommittee on Oil Spill Response of the National Committee for Cleaning the Niger
Delta, that produced the first ever National Contingency Plan on oil spillage.
- Elevated to the rank of DEPUTY DIRECTOR on 1st January, 2000. Appointed Federal Controller of
Environment in 2002 by the Federal Ministry of Environment
- In 2008 – Appointed Head/ Special Climate Change Unit, Federal Ministry of Environment, Nigeria,
as well as the Designated National Authority (DNA), and Focal Point Person for Reduced
Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation(REDD) and Chairman of the first National
Committee on REDD
- As Nigeria’s Lead Negotiator, Designated National Authority (DNA) and Focal Point for the United
Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), led Nigeria to the Conference of
Parties (COP)/ Meeting of Parties (MOP) 14 in Poznan 2008, and COP/MOP 15 in Copenhagen in
- 2008-2009 – Resource Specialist to the National Focal Point for Anti-Terrorism
- 2010. Member of the Technical Committee of Conference of African Heads of State and
Government on Climate Change (CAHOSCC).
- In 2010 As Co-Chair of African Group of Negotiators in the UNFCCC negotiation process
- Member of “Expert Group on Feasibility Study and Impact Assessment of Possible Market-Based
Measures (MBM-EG)” of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) – Representing Nigeria.
- In 2010 – Member and National Focal Point for the World Bank “Clean Technology Fund (CTF)” –
- 2010 As the Nation’s Designated National Authority (DNA) for Clean Development Mechanism
(CDM) projects led the country in the registration of SIX CDM projects in TWO YEARS
- 2010. Member of the Enforcement Branch of the Compliance Committee of the United Nations
Framework Convention on Climate Change
- 2011, appointed Technical Adviser to African Union Commission on Climate Change
- 2011 Registered as Consultant with African Development Bank
- 2012 Appointed as Director General of Africa Clean Energy Summit/Group
- 2012, Facilitated UNDP Policy Dialogue on the implications of sea level rise to the enviro-socioeconomic
security of Nigeria towards PROACTIVE PREPAREDNESS PLAN TO FORESTALL THE
LOOMING NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES OF SEA LEVEL RISE.2012Consultant, Katsina State & Ogun State Government on Climate Change, Green Development & Renewable Energy
- 2012 Chairman, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Panel Review Proposed Multipurpose
Jetty in Onne Port Complex, Eleme, Port Harcourt Rivers State, Nigeria Project By Indorama Eleme
Petrochemicals Ltd, 27th-29th November, 2012
- 2013 Chairman, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Panel on “PROPOSED MANCHOK 50-MW
SOLAR PV PLANT KAURA LOCAL GOVERNMENT, KADUNA STATE PROJECT BY QUAINT GLOBAL
ENERGY NIGERIA LTD, DATE- 16TH AUGUST, 2013”
- 2013.Chairman, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Panel on “PROPOSED 50MW PV GRIDTIED
GENERATOR SYSTEM AT ATAKUMOSA WEST LGA, OSUN STATE PROJECT BY ROOK SOLAR
INVESTMENT LTD DATE- 16TH AUGUST, 2013”
- 2015. Developed the First ever Memorandum of Understanding(MOU) on rebranding climate
change with the Federal Ministry of Health, and signed sealed on 13th May, 2015
- 2015. As a member of HUBERT H. HUMPHREY Alumni, Abuja, established in close partnership
with the Public Affairs Section of US Embassy, the first GREEN CHAMPIONS / Entrepreneurship
Programme, during the Global Earth Day 2015, which culminated with the recognition of US
Embassy Abuja as the FIRST GREEN EMBASSY in Nigeria and Africa at large. This was followed by
the presentation of commemorative plaque in October 2015
- 2018 Appointed Managing Director/CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER (MD/COO TELLCO EUROPE NIGERIA.